I think it’s safe to say that everybody loves biryani. Here is a simple chicken biryani recipe that you can make with a pressure cooker in just 30 minutes. This biryani is guaranteed to be delicious and flavorful.
- You can use any readymade or store bought garam masala powder or biryani masala to use in this recipe. You will also need a ginger garlic paste to add to the recipe.
- If you don’t have a blender to make the paste, you just need to mince the ginger and garlic very nicely and then crush them under the bottom of a glass on a chopping board.
- Using yogurt or curd can help get the tang going and to tenderize the chicken.
- If using coconut milk, make sure it is thin. Thick coconut milk will make the biryani look curdled.
This is what you will need to cook.
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- Small cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp jeera
- 1 ½ tbsp curd
- 1tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tbsp red chilli powder
- ¾ tbsp. biryani/garam masala powder
- Salt as nuch as needed
- ½ kg chicken
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 3 ¼ cups of water or thin coconut milk (if using normal rice, use a little more water)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup of curd
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies, chopped or sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ red chilli powder
- A handful of mint leaves
- A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Soak the rice for at least 20 to 30 minutes. If you are using normal rice instead of basmati, the rice needs to soak for a minimum of 30 minutes before you cook it.
- Put the chicken and the ingredients under marination in a bowl. Mix them well and set it aside. You can let it marinate for 10 -20 minutes.
Chicken Biryani Cooking Method
- Add oil to your pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot, put in all the dry spices and sauté until they begin to sizzle.
- Then add the chopped onions and sauté until they are golden brown. Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the chicken and fry until it turns pale and is cooked halfway through.
- Add the tomatoes, curd, red chilli powder, mint and coriander leaves.
- Cook the mixture until it turns thick. By now, the chicken should be almost cooked soft.
- Add the remaining masala powder and fry till you get that delicious aroma.
- Now add the water or coconut milk and bring it to boil. You can add salt only if needed, as salt was added with marination.
- Take the soaking rice and drain the water off completely before adding it to the cooker.
- Cook until there is very little water left. Then cover the cooker with its lid. You need not let it whistle. If the rice appears to be undercooked, you can sprinkle some water and cook further. If you are using normal rice, allow it to whistle once.
- Once the pressure goes down, fluff the rice with a fork or transfer it to a wide utensil immediately to keep it from turning mushy.
- If desired, you can drizzle one spoon of ghee, add coriander leaves and boiled eggs.
- Serve the biryani with onion raita.
Delicious Biryani is now ready to be devoured. You can also dazzle your other bachelor friends with your Biryani skills. Cook away!